What to Do If You Import Audio Equipment from Europe

Importing audio equipment is sometimes necessary especially if you do from Europe. Certainly, you wouldn’t want to throw away anything or repurchase all of your stuff. Most of the equipment that you use in Europe can be reused in the US. That is especially true for audio products. Most of the standards in Europe and was a similar. That includes audio standards. However, there are some differences which you should be aware of. Read this post in order to find out more.

First of all, the mains voltage is different in Europe and US. In the US, typical mains voltage is 120 V. In Europe, on the other hand, the voltage is typically 230 V. Also, while the mains frequency in Europe is typically 50 Hz, in the US it is 60 Hz. Most devices don’t care about the mains frequency. However, it is important to make sure the device that you import from Europe is able to operate at 120 V AC voltage. Sometimes you may need to provide for a voltage converter.

However, many modern devices use a switch mode power supply. These power supplies have the advantage that they typically work over a wide voltage range. In general, most switch mode power supplies work both in the US and Europe. However, the prongs that are on the power supply plug are different. That means you will have to switch out the plug or power cable. Some power supplies allow changing the cable. However, if the cable is firmly attached to the device then you will need a travel adapter.

Some devices can be switch between different mains voltages. Verify whether there’s such as switch. If so that set the switch to 120 V. Other than that you should be all set to use the device from Europe in the US.

Note though that some wireless devices might not be legal to operate in the United States. Frequency regulations do differ between the US and Europe. However, most wireless frequency bands are harmonized.

Comments are closed.